Pages

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Reflections on Ethiopia



The mixed feelings.....and where to begin.  Well how about some thoughts for those whom have not yet gone to Ethiopia...

For those of you who will travel soon...bring saline spray for your sniffer, decongestant, chocolate, if you have any allergies (upper resp) or asthma bring an inhaler.  I have never used one in my life but I will not return without one.  The elevation and pollution make breathing a challenge.

Be prepared...in America we move constantly always busy minute to minute.  Not so in Ethiopia, be prepared to sit and wait and chill.  You are on Ethiopia time not American time.  They move much slower and it is wonderful!!!!

The pictures etc...will not prepare you for the poverty and culture shock.  Breathe, take it easy and give your self time to settle in.  There is culture shock on the return trip home.  Be prepared to take it easy for a few days after you come back.  The sleep clock is all goofy, stomach is all goofy, emotions are really raw.  Be patient with yourself.  You life will be changed and you will not be the same.  It is a gift....to see the world differently and appreciate all that the Lord has given us.  Now...what will you do with it.  That is what I am struggling with.

Now for general thoughts as they float thru my head...literally float with jet lag!  :-)
I cannot believe how amazing this trip was.  I made wonderful friends that I will never forget.  We saw our son for the first time live and in the flesh!  Most importantly, I was knocked to my knees multiple times to fully rely on God.  He alone is how this trip was a success.  So many people have asked if I had fun.  Really?  Fun is not how I would describe this trip.  DisneyWorld is fun.  This trip was humbling, exhausting, eyeopening and incredibly emotional.  Honestly, we met the son of our hearts and left him on the other side of the world!  How is that fun?  It is heartbreaking and sooo sad.  I am completely reliant on others and their skill with paperwork so I can bring him home.  No, that is not true....I am completely reliant on GOD and him alone to complete this family.  This trip has allowed me to focus on my relationship with the Lord and my husband.  It has allowed my friends to see me more raw than they have ever seen me before.  I cannot tell you what the multiple emails and phone calls did for me.  Tears and more tears.  I am humbled and so thankful for the support of our family and friends.  I am thankful for the love that we have been shown thru this process.  I can honestly tell you, this is the hardest thing I have ever ever ever ever done!

So now...we try to get back in the swing of things.  We pray for an email stating that this Chero thing is over.  We pray for an update about our process to Embassy.  We pray for this to be rather quick as I really just want my little one home.  He is 10 months old....we taught him how to sit independently.  He cannot crawl or stand up.  He has two little teeth and more on the way.  I do not want to miss more!  Selfish, I know.  Does someone hold him at night when he has teeth coming thru.  Is someone hugging him telling him he is loved?  I do not know, but it breaks my heart....I just want him home.

 I will never be the same after this trip and I am so thankful for that.  So no....I did not have "fun" in Africa.  I left my heart there.  I will continue to walk thru my days and fulfill my obligations until I am whole again.

No comments:

Post a Comment