Pages

Saturday, February 19, 2011

A magical day in Addis

Len and I have been fortunate enough to strike up a friendship with one of the young men that work here at the guest home. Takabe, Len, a driver whom I cannot remember his name to save my life and I headed up to Mt. Entoto, a beautiful mountain on the outskirts of the city. The weather was 78 and sunny, everything was green and the air was clean. I can breathe!!!!



We stopped first at an outreach center. Totally me thing. I purchased some gifts for a few of the folks that have helped us thru this process at home. I highly recommend this place if you are in addis. Beautiful jewelry made of silver and coffee beans. The proceeds benefit women whom are HIV + and others in the community. They have a kids club for the children. Classes for the women on hygiene, health and safety, nutrition and parenting. Amazing program..beautiful children and fabulous staff.

We then headed up the mountain. While posing for pictures, I was so excited to be close to one of the donkeys...he almost knocked me over with the really heavy load he was carrying on his back. Of course I brushed it off....good grief it is a cute little donkey but everyone was so concerned including those that were begging from us. The kindness of the Ethiopian people...amazing.

We witnessed many women carrying over 100 pounds of eucalyptus on their backs down the mountain. They sell this for fuel and make 2.00$.

We walked thru st Mary church history museum and learned a ton avout the history ofmthe Ethiopian orthodox church as well as it's emperors. I saw an Ethiopian hymn book and an Ethiopian bible. Coolest things ever!

We then went on a quest to pick up a new scarf for me. Wow that was an adventure. Shopping in stores always are with the bartering business. We did buy a traditional Ethiopian outfit for joshua. They tried to get me to buy him a pink one. I promised his little picture that there will be no more girl clothes once he is officially ours. So sorry...no pink!!!!

Then off to Lucy s for lunch. This is a restaurant right next to the lion zoo and the national museum. Lucy is the name of the oldest known humanoid remains. Found and housed in ethiopia. Except now she is at the smithsonian in dc. No lion zoo for us. Animals in cages after watching the cattle being beaten to submission yesterday....ummm no.

Had wonderful conversations regarding Ethiopian holidays Amharic letters and numbers. My first lesson in Amharic is tonight. If you know my spanish skills.....well I'll try!

A wonderful day out and about. Everything is closed tomorrow for worship on sunday. We are the only visitors except the owner, his wife and their friend who is doing some really cool film stuff. So I will be watching secretariat. On my iPad and napping.



Speaking of napping.....until later



Chao from addis!



Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment