Pages

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Will You Have Naked Feet!?!

Can I share some startling statistics with you?  Please read just a few.


  • In the world today there are 143 million children who have lost one or both parents.
  • 87.6 million orphans live in Asia.
  • 43.4 million orphans live in Sub-Saharan Africa.
  • 12.4 million orphans live in Latin America and the Caribbean.
  • Every year, 12 million children become orphans.
  • Approximately 15 million children have been orphaned by AIDS worldwide.
  • Every 14 seconds an AIDS death leaves another child orphaned.
  • It has been forecast that the number of children orphaned by HIV/AIDS will reach 20 million by the year 2010.
  • According to UNICEF, less than 10 percent of AIDS orphans are receiving any type of support.
  • In some African countries, more than 15 percent of all children are orphans, most of them AIDS orphans.

Do you find the above disturbing?  I do.  Many of these orphans have nothing.  It breaks my heart...just thinking of all of those children who would do just anything for something small to help them feel loved.  Then there are the millions of children that do have loving wonderful parents that cannot provide for their basic needs.  Can you imagine not being able to take care of your child's basic needs?  I am not talking about affording Ugg's for your 13 year old or the latest outfit from Justice.  These parents cannot provide breakfast and hope that something happens so they can provide lunch or dinner.  Then there are basic clothing needs....that is where you come in....



Well.....

I have an idea for you....not my idea...but one to share.  I want you to take one day out of your life and experience what these children live everyday.  Please consider participating in ....

Check out my link in the upper left hand corner of my blog.  I will be joining in this movement....Yes I am serious.  Try it for just one day....no shoes to protect you from the street you cross to get your children to school.  No shoes for the day at work....good old fashioned naked feet.   If you are uncomfortable with this.....perhaps you would rather purchase a pair of shoes from TOMS.  They are amazing shoes and they do a good thing....they give those who have no shoes....a pair of brand new shoes!!!

I was in Ethiopia when TOMS was there for a drop.  Do you know over 1000 kids received shoes that day!  Reallllly!  It made a huge difference in the city where my little Joshua is right now!

Ethiopia

In Ethiopia, TOMS gives shoes through several Giving Partners who serve the most vulnerable and impoverished children in the country. In certain regions of Ethiopia, wearing shoes and practicing good hygiene can prevent podoconiosis, a disease that causes swelling of the feet and legs due to prolonged exposure to irritant soil. In Addis Ababa, Ethiopia’s capital, our partners work with HIV positive and street children, giving shoes to protect them from glass and metal found on the city streets. Some of our Giving Partners also give children shoes as a part of education initiatives that provide school supplies, nutrition and school uniforms.

So here is my plea.....will you participate?  Or buy a pair of TOMS to share the shoes around the world for needy children.  Who knows....it could be Joshua's brother or sister's feet that your shoes protect!
Pictures of kids wearing TOMS


Please add your name and comment to this blog...... I am anxious to see this spread!  

1 comment:

  1. Can I just say that TOMS is the cool-est company out there??? Seriously, comfortable shoes that do good for others. Who could ask for more? ;) I have 3 pairs and just convinced Kerry I need the new blue glitters in time for Dodger season.

    ReplyDelete